It is a resolute decision for every entrant to get higher medical education, because medical sphere is one of the most difficult and responsible. Every year, getting medical education abroad becomes more popular, because of the quality of education, modern technologies, internships, and perspectives for better employment. Polish medical universities are one of the best variants.
Polish Medical University
In Republic of Poland there are only 9 medical higher education establishments, 2 collegiums, and 4 university departments, where medical specializations are available. Here, we present you the list of Polish medical universities according to the ranking «Perspektywy»:
- Collegium Medicum in Jagiellonian University (Collegium Medicum Uniwersytetu Jagiellońskiego) Cracow, the number of students – 4822,
- Warsaw Medical University (Warszawski Uniwersytet Medyczny) Warsaw, the number of students – 9030,
- Gdansk Medical University (Gdański Uniwersytet Medyczny) Gdansk, the number of students – 5076,
- Karol Marchinkovski Medical University (Uniwersytet Medyczny im. Karola Marcinkowskiego) Poznan, the number of students – 6620,
- Wroclaw Medical University (Uniwersytet Medyczny im. Piastów Śląskich) Wroclaw, the number of students – 5572,
- Lodz Medical University (Uniwersytet Medyczny w Łodzi) Lodz, the number of students – 8409,
- Bialystok Medical University (Uniwersytet Medyczny w Białymstoku) Bialystok, the number of students – 4461,
- Lublin Medical University (Uniwersytet Medyczny w Lublinie) Lublin, the number of students – 6886,
- Pomorski Medical University (Pomorski Uniwersytet Medyczny) Shchecyn, the number of students – 4388,
- Silesian Medical University (Śląski Uniwersytet Medyczny) Katovice, the number of students – 9249,
- Collegium Medicum of Mikolai Kopernik University (Collegium Medicum UMK im. Ludwika Rydygiera) Bydgoshch, the number of students – 5276.
The Price for Education
Polish Law states that education at the universities for foreigners could not cost less than 2000 EUR per year. Talking about the price for education at medical spheres, it is more expensive than at other specializations and may vary from 5 000 to 13 000 EUR per year. The price is definitely high, but it is lower than in other European countries. It is important to mention that the language of educational program has an influence on price: studying in Polish will be cheaper than in English. For example, Lodz Medical University education in Polish costs 8 000 EUR/year and in English 10 500 EUR.
Foreigners who have Poles Card get 30% discount, or they can study for free as Poles. Besides this, entrants who do not have Poles Card, but have critical financial situation, can get the discount for education under the rector’s agreement.
Admission requirements for foreigners
First of all, you must decide on which conditions you can enter the Medical university in Poland: admission for programs as foreigner, where you need to pay tuition fee, or admission with the Poles Card on the same requirements as for Polish students.
The first variant is easier. In case you pay for education, you do not need to pass any exams, the candidate would be recruited on the base of school-leaving certificate and interview. Second variant is more complicated, because in order to get free medical education, you need to work hard. Studying medicine for free could be only on education programs in Polish language. A foreigner with the Poles Card must pass the whole admission process as Polish citizens. It means that you need to pass entry exams in Polish from two subjects: Biology and Chemistry or Physics (by choice). For studying dentistry, candidate must pass some additional exams.
Also, the good knowledge of language is important for international students. For studying in English the international certificate with at least B2 language level is required. For studying in Polish the Certificate of State Commission of Polish language as foreign is needed. You can get such certificate after zero course in Lodz Medical University, which is created for language learning and prepare foreigners to study medicine. It is the only course of such kind in Poland.
All Polish medical universities require medical document of vaccination against hepatitis B.
Polish System of Education in Medical Sphere
Studying medicine in Poland, it is usually studying on non-separate Master’s degree, it does not divide into two parts. Education lasts 5-6 years plus the internship, depending on specialization. The diploma is acceptable in all countries of European union, and also in the USA, Canada, Australia, etc.
One more important point, you can study Cosmetology, Dietetics, Obstetrics, Physiotherapy, and Medical Aid not only at the medical universities, but also at other private or public universities.
Advantages and Perspectives
Polish medical universities correlate European education of high quality with the available cost for education. Medical universities make more effort on practical knowledge; they are equipped with modern laboratories and instruments, also all professors at the universities are very qualified. Graduates from medical universities have wide perspectives to get good job in Poland, or abroad. It is not a secret that doctors’ salaries are rather high. For example, in Poland the average salary is around 11 000 zlotys.
So, if you decided to get medical education in Poland, you must remember that the admission process is not the easiest one. ENTRANT would be glad to help you to become a student of one of the Polish medical universities. We will carry out the whole admission process and help to adapt in Poland after your arrival.
tel: +48 22 427 5948,