Medical study in Poland
High level of education, which does not deviate from world standards and is several times lower than the cost of study, are the most repetitive arguments for admission to medical education in Poland. Today, about 7,000 foreigners from Ukraine, Belarus, Norway, Sweden, Spain, India and other countries study at the Polish medical universities. The second important argument for foreigners is the opportunity of learning science not only in Polish, but also in English programs.
The system of medical education in Poland – is basically a 5-6 year training program (medicine, dentistry, pharmaceuticals), which ends with a general examination. A young doctor must undergo a 1-year medical internship, after which he must write an examination on general knowledge, which will give him the right to practice. Also, students during their studies are required to undergo compulsory internships in hospitals or other medical institutions every year – the transfer for the next semester depends on this. For the first two years, young medical students are studying general medical matters, such as biology, chemistry, mathematics and physics, which will be used during their professional work. And only then, in the following years, knowledge is directed more towards the chosen profession.
Medical Education in Poland is also available in undergraduate and graduate programs in such specialties as nursing, midwifery, emergency medical care, biotechnology, cosmetology, physiotherapy, dietology and others.
Price of medical education in Poland
Training in Poland for a doctor is considered one of the most expensive, but at the same time affordable in comparison with other European countries. For example, medical education in Poland for Ukrainians and Belarusians will be several times more expensive than in their native country; and for candidates from Europe – cheaper. But, as it has already been recalled the level of Polish medical education is very high. It is important to note that applicants with Polish roots (Card of the Pole) can enter free public places on conditions of Polish citizens. So, how much does the medical education in Poland cost for foreigners?
- Medicine, dentistry – the price for Polish-language programs from 8 to 12 thousand euros / year; in the English-speaking 10-15 thousand.
- Pharmaceuticals – from 4 to 8 thousand euros / year.
- Obstetrics, emergency medical care, nursing, public health, dental equipment – cost within the limits of 4-6 thousand euro / year.
- Cosmetology, physiotherapy, dietology and others – from 2 to 5 thousand euro / year.
Requirements for admission to the Polish medical universities
For many years, medical education in Poland is considered popular among young people. For this reason, the requirements for admission are really high. During the process of admission of foreigners to the Polish medical schools, the assessments from the certificate of biology, chemistry, mathematics, physics and a foreign language are taken first of all. Also, most universities conduct a Skype interview for foreign candidates. It can be a simple conversation on general topics, motivation and so on. But it is also possible to take an exam in 2 of 4 subjects (biology, chemistry, mathematics, physics) for which you will be asked a few questions. Knowledge of the language is very important. If you want to study in English – the level of English should be at least B2 – checked by Skype interview or the university can require an international certificate. If you want to study in Polish, it can also be checked via Skype interview, or you need either a certificate issued by a special Polish commission or an annual preparatory course – zeruvka. In Poland, there is only one zeruvka that prepares foreigners for training on the directions in the medical field – one-year preparatory course at the University of Lodz .
Medical universities in Poland
The quantity of medical universities in Poland is not large – only 9 public and 2 private universities, 3 collegiums and 5 medical faculties. It is important to note that all educational institutions that have received a license to study in the medical field are supervised by a special institution, which guarantees the implementation of all legal norms and regulations, and hence, high quality education. Medical Education in Poland is represented by the following higher education institutions:
- Medical University in Lodz is the oldest medical university in Poland, founded in 2002;
- Karol Marcinkowski Medical University in Poznan
- Silesian Medical University in Katowice
- Warsaw Medical University
- Medical University in Lublin
- Medical University in Bialystok
- Gdańsk Medical University
- Pomeranian Medical University in Szczecin
- Medical University named after Piastow Silesian in Wroclaw
- College of Medicine of Jagiellonian University
- Collegium Medicum of the University of Nicolaus Copernicus in Bydgoszcz
- Collegium Medicum of the University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn
- The Andrzej Frycz Modzewski Academy in Kraków, the Faculty of Medicine is a private university that received the right to conduct medical training in 2016
- University of Lazar in Warsaw, the Faculty of Medicine is a private university that received the right to conduct medical education in 2017
- Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences at the University of Jan Kochanowski in Kielce
- Medical Faculty of Rzeszów University
- Faculty of Medicine and Health of Zelenogur University
- Faculty of Natural Sciences and Technology of Opole University – has the right to conduct medical training from 2017
- Faculty of Medical Sciences and Physical Education of the University of Technology and Humanities in Radom – has the right to conduct medical education in 2017
Medical training areas in Poland
Modern medicine is a branch of various narrow specializations. With the development of disciplines in medicine, new fields of science also appear. So, the most popular areas of medical education are:
- Medicine. To get the full right to practice, you must complete a six-year course, including a 13-month professional internship and take the National Medical Exam. Possible specializations in the chosen field of medicine: anaesthesiology and intensive care, professional medicine, otorhinolaryngology, pediatric surgery, emergency medical care, pathology, general surgery, family medicine, pediatrics, infectious diseases, dermatology and venereology, neurosurgery, oncological radiation therapy, laboratory diagnostics, neurology, clinical genetics, ophthalmology, urology, orthopedics and traumatology, musculoskeletal system and others.
- Стоматология. Dentistry. Graduates, in order to get the full right to practice as a dentist, also must undergo a 13-month internship and pass a medical-dental final exam. Studies last 5 years.
- Pharmacist. This discipline is very closely related to medicine. The training of pharmacists usually takes place within the framework of medical education and lasts 5.5 years.
- Medical analytics. Studies allow students to acquire skills and knowledge for laboratory analysis of biological materials taken from patients. This specialization is Master indivisible and lasts 5 years.
The above-listed areas are the most desirable among applicants enrolling in Polish universities. But apart from these there are many more interesting and demanded in the labor market specialties. Namely: nursing, midwifery, ambulance, dental equipment, audiophonology, biotechnology medicine, dietology, electroradiology, physiotherapy, medical physics, biomedical engineering, cosmetology, speech therapy, public health and others. Everyone will find the corresponding field of study.
Medical education is extremely demanding and clearly not easy, but its completion ensures that you will work in a profession that enjoys exceptional prestige and is highly paid not only in the Republic of Poland but in all countries of the world. ENTRANT offers comprehensive services for registration of foreign candidates for medical universities in Poland: we will help you find the right program for you, prepare the necessary documents, prepare for the interview and make the entry simple, and also help you to adapt in the new country upon your arrival.